The Board may grant registration as a Qualified Dental Assistant (QDA) if you have:
Within one year of application successfully completed the infection control (ICE) and radiation (RHS) parts of the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) examination,
within two years of application, passed the infection control (ICE) and radiation (RHS) parts of the DANB examination and completed sixteen hours of CE in accordance with section 20-03-01-06.
A Qualified Dental Assistant applicant must also:
- Successfully complete the ND jurisprudence exam offered online. You MUST submit your application and fee to the Board before you can take the Jurisprudence Exam! We must have your information before you can login.
- Provide a photocopy of CPR certification within 24 months of application indicating expiration date.
- Have completing 650 hours dental assistance instruction including on the job training (instruction may be from more than one office).
- Grounds for denial of the application under the North Dakota Century Code section 43-20-05 do not exist.
EXECUTIVE ORDER REGARDING CPR REQUIREMENT & RENEWAL of LICENSE
Executive Order 2020-20.1 temporarily extends in-person Continuing Education requirements for licensing renewals of health care personnel. The Order is effective and shall remain in effect for the duration of the declared state of emergency or until rescinded.
A QDA under the direct supervision of a dentist may perform the following duties:
- Take and record pulse, blood pressure, and temperature.
- Take and record preliminary dental and medical history for the interpretation by the dentist.
- Apply topical medications and drugs to oral tissues, including topical anesthetic, but not including desensitizing or caustic agents or anticariogenic agents.
- Receive removable dental prosthesis for cleaning or repair.
- Take impressions for study casts.
- Hold impression trays in the mouth (e.g., reversible hydrocolloids, rubber base).
- Take dental radiographs.
Frequently Asked Questions About DANB Exams and Certifications
APPLICATION STATUS: You may check your application status and take the online Jurisprudence exam on the application status page. This will help you find out what documents the Board has received and what documents are missing before your license/registration will be issued. The Board office updates the status as documents are received in the Board office. The Jurisprudence exam is required for all applicants.
You MUST submit your application and fee to the Board before you can take the Jurisprudence Exam! We must have your information before you can login.
QDA Registration - Application