License & Registration Renewal

General Information | Military SpouseTime Line | Inactive StatusFAQs | Reporting | CE | License Status

Active dentist and dental hygiene licenses not renewed by 12/31/2023 have expired and can no longer renew. You will now need to reinstate your license.
Dentist reinstatment 
Hygienist reinstatement

Dental assistants will expire 12/31/2024. Renewal notices will be sent by email in the fall of 2024.
If you dental assistant registration expired 12/31/2022, and you wish to renew, you will need to reinstate it. 
Dental Assistant Reinstatement

Certificates will NO LONGER be mailed out. When you receive a confirmation email, you may print your new license certificate from the Board's website. You will need to login with your last name, license number, and the last four digits of your SSN. 

Print Your Registration Certificate!  


  • Online renewal works best in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers. 
  • The Board recommends you use a desktop or laptop computer to renew. Cellphones and tablets do not always have the correct formatting or requirements for online renewal. 
  • Acceptable forms of payment are VISA, DISCOVER, MASTERCARD credit cards and VISA DEBIT cards. The online renewal does not accept American Express. 
  • If even if you recently became licensed or registered, you will still need to renew your license.

All dentists and hygienists licenses expire by December 31st of odd-numbered years. Dental assistants expire by December 31st of even-numbered years. Renewal notices are sent by email around October/November of the renewal year for your license. You cannot practice without a current license. It is your responsibility to renew your license even if you do not receive a notice. It is your responsibility to ensure the Board has your current contact information, including email address, on file. 

Notice regarding license certificates: A confirmation notice will be sent via email once your renewal is approved by the Board. Approval is done at least once a week. The renewed license can then be verified on the Board's Verification & Roster page. You do not need the email to print the license certificate or verify the license. 


DO NOT submit any continuing education to the Board office unless requested by the Board for an audit. The Board no longer collects, stores or maintains CE records. Should you be selected for a random CE audit, you must provide evidence of appropriate CE.  Therefore, save evidence of CE for the event of an audit. When signing the renewal form, you are attesting that all CE requirements have been met. Signing the form without having completed the hours may result in Board action if your CE records are audited.  

LIVE WEBINARS DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE SELF-STUDY LIMIT. The Board requires 32 hours for a dentist, 16 hours for a dental hygienist, and 16 hours for a dental assistant.  For all license types, total hours must include 2 hours of infection control, 2 hours of ethics and jurisprudence, and 2 hours of a board approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation course (CPR) or Basic Life Support. CE courses must be directly related to clinical dentistry, hygiene or assisting. You may obtain one half of the required CE hours from self-study or online courses. LIVE WEBINARS count as in-classroom hours and DO NOT count towards the homestudy limit. Two hours of CE is awarded to practitioners who take the open book, free of charge, online Ethics/Jurisprudence examination. Please go to the Board’s website to complete the open book online Jurisprudence exam for 2 credits.  See the New CE Policy pamphlet for more information. 

All licenses must maintain a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate. Anesthesia permit holders are required to maintain current advanced cardiac life support certification or pediatric advanced live support as specified by permit. The Board encourages licensees to obtain renewal of CPR certification as it becomes available. 

Inactive Dentists and Inactive Dental Hygienists Renew Annually - Renewal notices and the application are sent in the fall every year. 

Other Important Information about Renewal

Newly licensed dentists, dental hygienists, and assistants: If you recently became licensed, you still need to renew your license by the expiration date. The Board does not have a grace period for new licensees. A renewal cycle is two-years. All dentists and hygienists renew at the same time, so unfortunately new licensees may not have the full 2-year cycle the first time.  Newly licensed dentists and hygienists who graduated from a program within the last two years are exempt from the CE requirement but still must renew the license. All dental assistants renew at the same time. Unfortunately new licensees may not have the full 2-year cycle the first time.  Newly licensed  assistants who recently graduated or completed the DANB exam are exempt from the CE requirement but still must renew the license. All licensees should have updated CPR and Infection Control within the last 2 years at time of renewal regardless of when the license was issued. 

Pursuant to the North Dakota Century Code, a licensee must provide the Board current and correct addresses. It is the responsibility of the registrant to renew the license and any permits whether you receive a renewal notice or not. 

License Status - If you are uncertain of your licensure status, please use the Verification & Roster to verify your license. It is illegal to practice dentistry, dental hygiene, or provide dental assisting expanded duties without a license or registration.


Fall of the Renewal Year - Approximate date that renewal notices will be sent out to all dentists & dental hygienists. 

Military Spouse: The ND Board of Dental Examiners is required by law to inquire as to the status of a military spouse. The question will appear on renewal forms and initial applications.  The Board defines a "military spouse" as a foreign practitioner who is the spouse of a member of the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States stationed in North Dakota in accordance with military orders or stations in North Dakota before a temporary assignment to duties outside of North Dakota.

December 31st -  Dentists & hygienists who do not renew by December 31st of the odd-numbered year, and dental assistants by December 31st of the even-numbered year, have an expired license. They cannot practice and will incur late fees to renew the license. If your renewal was not received online or USPS postmarked on or before December 31, your license expires, and you may not practice. After December 31, you must pay the additional late fees to renew your license. 

Inactive Status Annual Renewal - The annual inactive status for dentists and hygienists expires December 31 of every year. 

General Renewal Information - Continuing Education & License Renewal

Do Not Submit Continuing Education to the Board Office. The Board no longer collects, stores, or maintains CE records. Should you be selected for a random CE audit, the licensee must provide evidence of appropriate CE.  Therefore, save evidence of CE for the event of an audit.   When signing the renewal form, the registrant also attests that all CE requirements have been met.   FMI: New CE Policy pamphlet

Permits Requiring CE - All permits must also be renewed by December 31st of the licensee's renewal year.

DENTISTS - Nitrous oxide Administration does not require renewal or additional continuing education. 

  • General anesthesia and deep sedation, moderate parenteral or enteral sedation, and minimal sedation permits - Six hours related to sedation or anesthesia; and (2) Two hours of closed claim anesthesia continuing education courses. 
  • Botox 

HYGIENISTS- Local anesthesia and nitrous oxide administration do not require renewal or additional continuing education. 

  •           Anesthesia dental assistant; requires 2 hours of related CE
  •           Restorative functions; requires 2 hours of related CE

ASSISTANTS - Nitrous oxide administration does not require renewal or additional continuing education. 

  •           Anesthesia dental assistant; requires 2 hours of related CE
  •           Restorative functions; requires 2 hours of related CE


FMI on anesthesia permits, see Renewal of Permits - ND Dental Board.

CE Audit

The Board recommends you retain documentation such as receipts, vouchers, or certificates of completion for the current and previous renewal cycle. Examples of proof of CE includes receipts, and certificates of completion. If the course was a “live webinar” the certificate of completion must indicate “live webinar”,  with course title, date of completion, number of CE hours attended. Membership organizations may also provide certificates indicating proof of attendance. 

Self-Study   |   Classroom Style CE   |   Webinars  

The Board defines self-study as those in which there is no interaction between an instructor and student, or education in which the student engages in the learning activity without supervision or an instructor. Self-study programs may be pre-recorded audio programs, self-paced digital courses, or self-paced online courses. Self-study is an education process designed to permit a participant to learn a given subject without involvement of a proctor. One half of required CE credits may be obtained by classroom style learning or webinars.

LIVE WEBINARS DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE SELF-STUDY LIMIT. The Board views a live webinar as a method of learning, such as a presentation, lecture, workshop, or seminar which takes place on the Internet using video conferencing software. The remote audience may see and hear the presenter, ask questions, and sometimes answer polls. The key feature of a webinar is its interactive elements and the ability to receive and discuss information in real-time. If you are watching a recorded webinar, it is considered self-study and will count towards the self-study limit. 

Classroom style learning is described as, attending a conference, course or may also be as simple as a qualified practitioner providing CE with the aid of electronic media, for example study clubs, or practitioners providing CE to employees regarding infection control or nitrous oxide equipment education. Live webinars will count toward classroom style learning. 


In addition to the biennial continuing education requirement, all practitioners must maintain a valid and current CPR or BLS certification.  Any credits earned by taking a CPR/BLS course for the sake of maintaining a valid certification will be counted towards the biennial CE requirement. CPR education must have a hands-on component.

Initial Licensure Fee vs. Renewal Fee

Both fees are required to obtain and maintain a license and registration with the NDBDE. The initial license application fee is paid to initiate administrative processes and verifications that must be completed by the Board’s administrative office. The renewal fee grants the license for the following two-year period. Failure to pay the renewal fee will cause the license to expire.

License Status

If you are uncertain of your licensure status, click on the Board's Verification & Roster page. It is illegal to practice dentistry, dental hygiene, or provide dental assisting expanded duties without a license or registration. Once a practitioner is delinquent in renewing by December 31st, it is unlawful to practice without a valid registration or certificate of license. 


Dentists, dental hygienists, and registered dental assistants have a duty to report [See NDCC 43-28-18.1] within 60 days of the event any illegal, unethical, or errant behavior or conduct including the following events, proceedings, or formal or informal actions:  

  1. A dental malpractice judgment or malpractice settlement or a final judgment by a court in favor of any party and against the licensee.
  2. A final disposition regarding the surrender of a license, or adverse action taken against a license by a licensing agency in another state, territory or country; a governmental agency; a law enforcement agency; or a court for an act or conduct that would constitute grounds for discipline under Chapter 43-28.
  3. A mortality or other incident occurring in an outpatient facility of the dentist which results in temporary or permanent physical or mental injury requiring hospitalization of the patient during or as a direct result of a dental procedure or related use of general anesthesia, deep sedation, conscious sedation with a parenteral drug, or enteral sedation. 

A practitioner shall advise the board in a timely manner if they reasonably believe another practitioner has committed an illegal or immoral act or has otherwise failed to make a report as required by law. If you have an incident to report as required by statute, submit the supporting documentation and/or certified copies of all court documents, police records related to the matter discussed in the petition. 


What do I need to renew online?

  • A current email address
  • A method of payment: Most major credit cards accepted (except American Express).

What happens once I renew my license online?

A confirmation notice is sent via email. The license or registration can be verified on the Board's Verification & Roster page. Certificates will NO LONGER be mailed out. You may print your certificate from the Board’s website.

I am newly licensed. Do I need to renew my license?

Yes. Regardless of when you are licensed during the two-year period, a renewal application and fee is required. The initial license application fee for licensure covers the Board’s time and resources involved in processing a new license. However, a license who has graduated from any CODA accredited programs within two years of the renewal deadline is exempt from sending the continuing education. CPR must be maintained at all times. A newly licensed by credential applicant may utilize CE taken within the previous two years of the renewal deadline, even if the CE was provided during the initial license application process. The renewal fee renews the license for the following 24-month period.

If I did not receive the renewal notice, will I be charged the late fee?

Yes, if not renewed by December 31st. Renewal notices are emailed on November 1. The law requires all licensees to notify the Board of any address changes including email address. If you did not receive a renewal notice by mid-November, contact the Board's office immediately.

It was not my fault! The office manager did not send my renewal applications and they were postmarked after December 31. Will l incur a late fee?

Yes. The practitioner is responsible for the timely renewal of license.

Is there a “grace” period to renew my license?

Yes. The grace period consists of the 60 days following December 31. During this time, although the license can be renewed, practitioners are prohibited from practicing with an expired license. Once the license renewal and fees have been confirmed by the Board, the practitioner may resume practice. A dental assistant may not provide any expanded duties if the registration is not renewed but may continue to provide minimal duties as provided by Administrative Rules. 

Dentists and Dental hygienists renew license by December 31 of odd numbered years. Registered dental assistants [RDA/QDA] renew registration by December 31 of even numbered years.

If I did not renew during the 60-day grace period, can I renew the license?

No, you must reapply for ND licensure. The practitioner must re-apply and meet the requirements of licensure to be granted license. The process of re-applying for licensure delays the practice of dentistry further.

What method of payments are accepted?

Acceptable forms of payment for online renewal are VISA, DISCOVER, MASTERCARD credit cards and VISA DEBIT cards. American Express is not accepted. Paper renewals cannot be paid by credit card and must be paid by check or money order payable to NDSBDE.

When can I place my license on inactive status?

When the license is due for renewal, download the inactive status application. While on inactive status, the dentist/hygienist may not engage in the practice of dentistry in the state until the dentist applies for reinstatement, pays the fee, and meets any other requirement established by Administrative Rules.

If my dentist or dental hygiene license is inactive, can I apply for active license?

Yes, however an application for reinstatement must be reviewed by the Board. If you intend to reinstate your inactive license, plan ahead. The reinstatement application and fee must be submitted to the Board 30 days before the next Board meeting. Dental assistants do not have an inactive status.  

If I am retired or my license is on inactive status, do I need to renew each biennial renewal period?

No, inactive status must be maintained annually. Licensees who have submitted the “inactive status” application receive notice to renew the status annually around mid-October. If the renewal for the inactive status is not received by the Board, the inactive status is cancelled. The annual fee is $40. Continuing education is not required. The licensee may not practice dentistry in North Dakota once the license is placed on inactive status.

When do registered dental assistants renew registration?

An RDA or QDA must renew registration by December 31 of even numbered years. 

What are the CE requirements for renewal?

See the New CE Policy pamphlet for more information. 

1. Continuing education activities include publications, seminars, symposiums, lectures, college courses, and online education.

2. The continuing dental education hours will accumulate on the basis of one hour of credit for each hour spent in education. Subject matter directly related to clinical dentistry will be accepted by the board without limit.

3. Requirements: Dentists - 32 hours; Hygienists - 16 hours; Assistants - 16 hours. Of these hours, a licensee may earn no more than half of the hours from self-study. Self-study is an educational process designed to permit a participant to learn a given subject without involvement of a proctor. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation courses must provide hands-on training. All other continuing education requirements may be satisfied from online education. LIVE WEBINARS DO NOT COUNT AS SELF-STUDY.

The continuing education must include:

a. Two hours of ethics or jurisprudence. Passing the laws and rules examination is the equivalent of two hours of ethics or jurisprudence.

b. Two hours of infection control. 

c. A cardiopulmonary resuscitation course.

d. For registered anesthesia dental assistant permitholders, two hours related to sedation or anesthesia.

e. For registered dental restorative dental assistant permitholders, two hours related to restorative dentistry.

4. Mere registration at a dental convention without specific attendance at continuing education presentations will not be creditable toward the continuing dental education requirement.

5. All dental assistants must hold a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.

6. The board may audit the continuing education credits of a licensee or registrant. Each person shall maintain certificates or records of continuing education activities from the previous renewal cycle. Upon receiving notice of an audit from the board, a licensee shall provide satisfactory documentation of attendance at, or participation in the continuing education activities listed on the licensee's continuing education form. Failure to comply with the audit is grounds for nonrenewal of or disciplinary action against the license.