Continuing Education Overview


The New CE Policy pamphlet contains more information on the new requirements for continuing education. 

Who keeps track of my continuing education?

All licensees and registrants are required to maintain proof of CE on forms supplied by the Board that the licensee has attended or participated in continuing dental education. Do not send your records to the Board unless your receive a "Notice of CE Audit" from the Board.  The New CE Policy pamphlet contains more information on the new requirements for continuing education. 

Attention Newly Licensed Practitioners

DDS or RDH: New graduates who have been licensed by examination within 24 months of renewal are exempt from CE as the accredited education applies. CPR must be maintained at all times. Renewal deadline for all dentists and dental hygienists is December 31st of ODD numbered years. 

RDA or QDA: Dental assistants who have graduated from an accredited program or have received a DANB certificate within 24 months of renewal are exempt from CE as the recent eduation applies. CPR must be maintained at all times. Renewal deadline for all registered dental assistants is December 31 of EVEN numbered years.

License Renewal CE Requirements 

  • A cardiopulmonary resuscitation course; webinar CPR courses must have a hands-on component.

  • A minimum of two hours of infection control education.

  • A minimum of two hours of ethics and/or jurisprudence

  • General anesthesia and moderate or minimal sedation permit holders must include four hours related to sedation or anesthesia.  

  • Registered dental assistants and dental hygienists holding a permit for  Dental Anesthesia Assistant or Restorative Functions must include two hours related to the permit.

    Minimum Continuing Education Requirement
    Professional Maximum Self-study Hours Accepted Total Hours Required
    Dentist 16 32







Continuing Education Reporting Form
Note: This form will not download properly if you do not have Acrobat Reader or an updated version.
Contact the Board office to have one faxed or emailed to you. 

Self-study: One half of the required hours for renewal of license and registration may be obtained thru self-study. Self-study is defined as an education process designed to permit a participant to learn a given subject without involvement of a proctor or interaction of a third party. Self-study programs may be pre-recorded audio programs, self-paced digital courses, or self-paced printed material. Payment for a course and the certificate of completion are required in the event of an audit. Continuing education hours may consist of a maximum of one-half self-study and the remainder must come from online webinars or classroom style education. 

Webinars: The Board determined that a webinar is equivalent to classroom education where CE is concerned. A webinar is not considered equivalent to online/self-study education; webinars are interactive in some way, and by the nature of the experience, there is the existence of a third party and the inclusion of proof of attendance. CPR may be obtained via a webinar but the course must include an actual hands-on component.


All dentists, hygienists and dental assistants must maintain a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate.  Anesthesia permit holders are required to maintain current advanced cardiac life support certification or pediatric advanced live support as specified by permit.

Board Approved CPR Courses

The Board accepts CPR, BLS or ACLS, PALS from providers who administer a hands-on course. Webinars that include a hands-on component are accepted.  Courses approved by the Board are provided in the links below. 

The process of obtaining approval from the Board prior to taking the course has been discontinued. In the event of an audit, the onus falls upon the practitioner to prove that CE is clinical.  Practitioners who hold a permit for the expanded functions of botox, restorative functions, dental anesthesia assistant, are advised to seek approval.

Nitrous Oxide Monitoring

A dental assistant registered with the Board as a RDA (registered dental assistant) may provide nitrous oxide sedation MONITORING under the indirect supervision of a dentist if the dental assistant is a graduate of a CODA approved dental assisting program or has taken a Board approved nitrous oxide sedation monitoring course. A dental assistant registered with the Board as a QDA (qualified dental assistant) may not provide the duty of nitrous oxide sedation monitoring. The link, Nitrous Oxide Sedation Monitoring Download, provides more information on ordering and downloading the video for the Board approved course. 

Infection Control 

Renewal of license and registration requires 2 hours of infection control related continuing education. 


OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
OSHA Hazard Communication Standard
Minimum Standards for Infection Control
CDC Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health Care Settings—2003 MMWR 2003;52(No. RR-17)

Ethics & Jurisprudence

Take the online Ethics and Jurisprudence Examination. There is no fee for the open book "no fail" exam. The exam ends once the correct number of questions are answered resulting in 2 CE credits. The successful results are stored in the Board's data base.  

  • In order to read  PDF documents you must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your system

CE Audit

The Board’s Continuing Education Committee will be evaluating CE compliance by conducting random quarterly audits. In the event of an audit, a licensee will be required to submit evidence of clinical CE which should include a course syllabus, proof of payment if required and certificates of completion. A certificate of completion should include the format of the CE such as webinar, classroom attendance or self-study, number of CE hours and date of event. Licenses must maintain CE documentation from the previous renewal cycle. 

You may maintain your own records of your continuing education. But the Board encourages licensees to utilize CE tracking software services. Many software applications are now availiable, such as CE Zoom or CE Broker to record CE attendance. In the event of an audit, CE tracking software makes it easier to track the accrual of  continuing education credits and print evidence of coursework such as certificates of attendance. If you have any questions regarding CE Zoomyou should contact them directly at or (505) 500-4628. If you have questions using CE Brokeryou may contact them directly at or 1-877-434-6323. You may also use CE Broker's Live Chat by clicking on the HELP icon or check out their FAQs on the Support page. 


Requesting Licensees Mailing Addresses

If you are a CE provider wishing to send out information on an upcoming CE opportunity, you may request a list of licensees. The Board requires a written request or completion of the request form (form coming soon!!) and $100 fee. There is a separate fee for each profession. The fee is $300 for all three professions (dentists, hygienists, and assistants). The payment must be by check or money order and payable to NDSBDE. The Board does not accept credit cards or purchase order cards. In your written request, please indicate the purpose of the list (continuing education, research, recruitment), the order (alpha, ZIP, by city, country, or specify order) and format (email, labels, or list) that you wish to have. For emails, please indicate the file format (Excel or delimited). We cannot provide sensitive information such as SSN, date of birth, or home phone number. We will provide date licensed, license number, expiration date, etc. Please include any specific fields or formats you are requesting in your request. Lists are typically sent weekly. Incomplete requests may delay your list. You may mail your request and fee payable to:

PO Box 7246
Bismarck, ND 58507-7246

CE Approval and Expanded Duties

Continuing education hours directly related to clinical dentistry will be accepted.  It is the responsibility of the practitioner to make sure that continuing education is clinical in nature. Unless the CE is obtained from an accredited program approved by the Board, licensees applying for a permit for expanded duties are advised to contact the Board for approval of a course before spending time and money.   

 Expanded functions permits for botox, restorative procedures and dental anesthesia assistant, are advised to seek approval prior to attending or paying for CE courses which require a permit. See botulinum toxin and dermal filler page. All courses are not the same! Registered Dental Assistants or Registered Dental Hygienists interested in expanded duties of Dental Anesthesia Assistant or Restorative Functions should check with the Board before enrolling in a course.

CE Sponsors

Continuing education sponsors no longer are required to submit an application to the NDBDE to verify that the content meets the Board’s requirements for ND continuing education.